Master craftsman, acclaimed singer/songwriter and globe-trotting performer David Olney has released more than 20 albums over four decades, including six live recordings. His music has been prominently featured in ABC-TV’s Nashville and his stellar songs have been recorded by Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Del McCoury, Tim O’Brien and Steve Young, among many others. Catch up with David on his weekly live, You Never Know streamcast – starring the Bard performing a song and sharing the story behind it – every Tuesday on DavidOlney.com and YouTube.
1. What’s been keeping you up at night?
A song I’m working on, trying to figure out a line or maybe just a word. Trying to remember speeches from King Lear. Past sins.
2. What’s the coolest thing you’ve seen or heard lately?
Legendary Nashville session player, Charlie McCoy played on a couple of songs of mine. What an inspiration. A total pro.
3. What’s the most exciting thing you’re working on right now?
I’ve been recording with Steve Dawson producing. I had forgotten how much fun that can be.
4. If you could add anyone, alive or dead to your team, who would it be?
Br’er Rabbit at first. Abraham Lincoln on second. Gandhi on third. Billie Holiday at short. In the outfield, Daffy Duck, Robert Johnson, Aretha Franklin. Bette Davis behind the plate and Otis Redding on the mound. That’s my team.
5. When the movie of your life is made, what will it be called?
David Olney: Pride Of The Yankees